Today’s linkup to Monday Listicles is a quickie (meaning I’m not going to be blathering on, for once) because we are heading down to the beach this morning. We survived Hurricane Irene (boy, was that scary!) and despite the fact that Ocean City was evacuated, they are apparently open again so we are heading down there today for our first East Coast beach/boardwalk holiday.
10 Places I Love
1. Being in the company of good friends.
2. Being at home with my children, not having to go anywhere or do anything.
4. At a writers conference, sitting around a table workshopping fiction. It was at a writer’s conference that I met Audrey Niffenegger (before she even had an agent, before Brad & Jen bought the film rights to The Time Traveler’s Wife). I workshopped her novel – TTW – and she workshopped mine and ended up writing the cover blurb for the back of my novel!
5. Ella’s new bed. It has this little fairy curtain that when you are inside it, makes you feel like you’re in a special place all your own.
6. Reading a novel I can’t put down. Most recent reads I recommend are:
- Little Bee, by Chris Cleave (refugee in London)
- Incendiary, by Chris Cleave (mom writes a letter to Osama Bin Laden)
- A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, Robert Olen Butler (Vietnam shorts)
- The Help, by Kathryn Stockett (of course!)
-When You Are Engulfed in Flames, David Sedaris (If you want to pee your pants laughing)
- Bossy Pants, by Tina Fey (Ditto to above – hilarious)
7. Gran’s kitchen in Dublin, Ireland, having a good conversation with her, drinking a cuppa while sausages are cooking on the fat-buster.
8. Business class on British Airways, heading to Europe. (I’m sorry, but I’m a whore for Business Class, even though the next time I fly Business will be after we put the kids through college and I’ll probably be too old to enjoy it. I could spend an entire flight sitting by the toilets in Economy, pining for Business Class.)
9. Bewley’s Cafe, on Grafton Street in Dublin. I could sit there for hours.
11. New Zealand.
12. My children’s AMI Montessori school.
You might also like...
What I Would Miss
10 Things My Alcoholic Parents Taught Me
How to Look Like a French Poodle, By Ella
Stuff I’ve Heard