October

10 Tips For New Moms

Filed under: Monday Listicles, Motherhood

“I’m probably just as good a mother as the next repressed, obsessive-compulsive paranoiac.” ― Anne Lamott, Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son’s First Year

1. Take a deep breath – it’s gonna be okay.

2. It’s perfectly okay for you not to know when to let go of the maternity pants.

3. Mothering a newborn can feel surprisingly isolating - join a local MOM’s group that meets once a week.

4. Be prepared to lower your expectations of yourself (and your housekeeping standards).

5. It can take time to get the hang of breastfeeding (but once you get it, you’ve got it). If you’re having difficulty (and even if you’re not) try to get to weekly meetings through your local La Leche League or the lactation support team through your hospital. It’s a great place to make new mom friends, get tips, and feel supported.

6. Get this sleep book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It will help you to understand your baby’s need for sleep, how to deal with sleep problems, and what sleep schedule to expect for different ages. This book was the single most helpful book on parenting I ever read.

7. Babies are like cats: they need affection as much as they need food. You can never hug, kiss, hold, rock, soothe, wear, or love your baby too much.

8. Don’t spend too much time worrying about how you will pass on your character defects to your child. Either you will or you won’t. If you look at history, most of the greatest leaders had seriously flawed parents: Churchill’s mother was one of them.

9. Being a mother is one of the most rewarding roles and yet the most challenging. You will probably need to adjust your fantasy of what you pictured motherhood to be like, and what you thought you would be like as a mother, with reality.

10. It all goes by in the blink of an eye – cherish this time before it’s gone.

This post is part of the Monday Listicles link-up at The Good Life. Come link up!

What I Would Miss

• Forest Face

10 Things Around My House

• Kanga Pouch

10 Things I Never Thought I Would Do, Ever

• seadrift

10 Places I Love

• true love, me and dermot in ireland, the momalog

True Love

Comments

1. What a sweet list. I loved the part about there being no such thing as too much affection. HOWEVER sent the cat to live on the in-laws’ farm because, gaw, I just needed time to myself one minute of every other day, and he couldn’t give me even that. Relatedly: the kids are shipped to the same farm whenever possible.
    Twitter: freefringes

• I don’t know why I used that cat example Erica – our pets have moved so far down on the food chain around here it isn’t funny. We also had a dog but found another (better, more attention-giving) home for it. I hear you. (-:

2. 10 Tips For New Moms @adothemomalog http://t.co/BvTdeYzw

3. This is a great list; I agree with every single one of them!
    Twitter: gfunkified

4. Your list hit it the nail on the head. I found myself nodding in agreement for much of it, and I love #8, especially with the Churchill reference.
    Twitter: notwifezilla

5. You are so right…breathe, just breathe is good advice all the way through, not just babies, but toddlers, school age and as adults! There will be so many times you will feel like they are sucking the life right out of you with worry! I am glad we can’t ruin our kids…are you sure? lol
    Twitter: bestfoodies

• I believe we can’t ruin our kids. (-: Of course I could be wrong!

6. Was nodding my head with each one of these as I was reading. Great list!! Breathing is key. We put so much pressure on ourselves from the very first day. We have to remember we will figure it all out, it just takes time. And sometimes, we won’t figure it out, but we will always be there for our children!
    Twitter: HStayingAfloat

7. Amen sister!!! Great list!! Number 10…sigh…it’s so true.

8. I wish I’d read this before I became a mother!

9. That’s right. In a blink it’s gone. Before you know it they’re sleeping through the night – then graduating from high school.
    Twitter: southmainmuse

• It makes me wish I lived in a Muslim country or something where the kids all live with the parents after they get married and everybody stays together.
      I dread empty nest!

10. So true! love your number 7 and judging by number 8 my son is destined to be the president ;)

• I would love to know your flaws, Stasha, because I can’t picture a single one – seriously.
      And your son will grow up to be pres. with his looks alone! (-:

11. I love reading your stuff! I’m kinda surprised you didn’t put anything in there about consulting with WebMD anytime there’s a medical concern. ;^) JK! Oh… and the maternity pants… ya, I still have a pair of yogas I’ll bust out from time to time! They’re so comfy I can’t bring myself to part with them.
    Twitter: Mommy2cents

• Thanks for the compliment. (-:
      I have about 5 pairs of yoga pants.
      Funny thing is…I don’t do yoga.

12. Completely agree on your list there, Ado! Especially the “tender loving care” part. So, so important ;)
    Twitter: dosweatthesmall

• Hey Sweaty thanks for the comment. I think people who grew up with not-so-tender-hearted parents tend to appreciate the tender-hearted approach to parenting more, you know?

13. We loved these "10 Tips For New Moms" … a great morning read! http://t.co/XfYygu4W

14. 10 Tips For New Moms http://t.co/1h6wM7Eb by @adothemomalog #MondayListicles

15. Excellent tips! I especially like number 10…cherish, cherish, cherish!
    Twitter: chicktuition

16. Very good advice, Ado. Re #8: I have a magnet on my fridge that reads “Screwing up your children makes them much more interesting adults.” Not that this is my mission, but it’s a reminder not to take myself too seriously and to let fate figure some stuff out on its own. Your kids have a fabulous mom!
    Twitter: SJM_CookiesMom

• I think my parents definitely subscribed to it (if there had been a magnet they would’ve had it…) — and you know what? I’m interesting.

17. Honest advice is best advice! http://t.co/1h6wM7Eb by @adothemomalog #MondayListicles

18. I love your list! And you’re so right. We can never love our babies TOO much. They can drive us a bit crazy too much though. But I will cherish… And hope #2 doesn’t grow up too fast cos we ain’t planning for another one!
    Twitter: http://twitter/yjune

19. They can drive us a bit crazy too much though. We can never love our babies TOO much. Funny thing is…I don’t do yoga. What a sweet list.