“I’m probably just as good a mother as the next repressed, obsessive-compulsive paranoiac.” ― Anne Lamott, Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son’s First Year
1. Take a deep breath – it’s gonna be okay.
2. It’s perfectly okay for you not to know when to let go of the maternity pants.
3. Mothering a newborn can feel surprisingly isolating - join a local MOM’s group that meets once a week.
4. Be prepared to lower your expectations of yourself (and your housekeeping standards).
5. It can take time to get the hang of breastfeeding (but once you get it, you’ve got it). If you’re having difficulty (and even if you’re not) try to get to weekly meetings through your local La Leche League or the lactation support team through your hospital. It’s a great place to make new mom friends, get tips, and feel supported.
6. Get this sleep book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It will help you to understand your baby’s need for sleep, how to deal with sleep problems, and what sleep schedule to expect for different ages. This book was the single most helpful book on parenting I ever read.
7. Babies are like cats: they need affection as much as they need food. You can never hug, kiss, hold, rock, soothe, wear, or love your baby too much.
8. Don’t spend too much time worrying about how you will pass on your character defects to your child. Either you will or you won’t. If you look at history, most of the greatest leaders had seriously flawed parents: Churchill’s mother was one of them.
9. Being a mother is one of the most rewarding roles and yet the most challenging. You will probably need to adjust your fantasy of what you pictured motherhood to be like, and what you thought you would be like as a mother, with reality.
10. It all goes by in the blink of an eye – cherish this time before it’s gone.
This post is part of the Monday Listicles link-up at The Good Life. Come link up!
You might also like...
I Just Want To Bang On The Drum All Day
The World Was His Oyster
10 Women I Admire
Easter: A Photo Recap