Einstein On Mother’s Intuition

Filed under: Daily Life, Mommy Brain vs. Daddy Brain

This morning I was having a conversation with my husband which went something like this:

Me: “My intuition tells me…”

Him: “I’d prefer to discuss this rationally blah-blah-blah…”

I’m sure you can imagine where that went. It ended with me grumbling that it’s like being married to Einstein and him grumbling that it’s like being married to a Tarot card reader.

But the truth is, Einstein was a huge advocate of the intuitive mind. In fact, he valued it over and above the rational mind.

Immediately after our conversation I logged into Facebook and – synchronicity! – a friend had posted this:

the momalog, einstein intuition quote, momalog intuition, einstein intuition, einstein rational mind

When I became a parent, my rational brain may have shrunk, but my intuitive ability increased infinitely. Whenever I have a “mother’s intuition” – whether it’s a tiny thought like, “That looks slippery, I better hold her hand,” or a big one, like the one I had when Fi was just two and D. convinced me that she would enjoy the iMax voyage to outer space show that had scary loud rockets shooting off into space. My intuition basically shouted at me that the iMax show would scare the absolute crap out of her, and possibly even put her off movie theaters for good (it did) – but since marriage always involves compromise, I let her go in.

Of course as soon as the rockets took off and all that hell-fire and flaming debris looked like it was coming out of the screen right at her, she lost it and started screaming and I took her out. I scolded myself the entire time about what an ass I was for not listening to my intuition.

Each and every time I choose not to listen to the that part of me – the intuitive part that is so devalued in our rational-minded society – something goes to shit. Parenting and experience have taught me to respect my intuition – but this doesn’t mean I always remember to listen to it.

So thank you, Albert, for reminding me to always go with my intuition.

How Not To Plan A Menu

• default

Thoughts About Moms Who Project Perfection

• momalog who

How to Stop the Bickering

• Tom and Heidi with their children

“Hold On, I Have To Breathe”

Who Ever Heard of a Politically Correct Tiger Lily?

Comments

1. Einstein on mother’s intuition: http://t.co/TlMqNN8X

2. You and your husband sound very, very familiar! There is something eerily accurate about a mother’s intuition. I find it is usually right, too. The Albert Einstein quote is totally spot on. What a smart guy ;-)
    Twitter: jlweinberg

3. Very interesting! Einstein on mother’s intuition: http://t.co/nw463aeP via @adothemomalog

4. I’m a big fan of intuition too Ado. Whenever I’ve had a bad feeling about someone, it’s usually turned out to be justified. Never quiet your gut feelings – they’re the best tool you’ve got.
    Twitter: myhonestanswer

5. Intuition rules and now I have proof! (Always knew it intuitively): Einstein On Mother’s Intuition http://t.co/FliwhYG7 via @adothemomalog

6. I like this quote because Einstein was such a thinker and someone who applied logic to situations so well that his acceptance of intuition as a credible source of thought shows he was also open minded and not a “pure logic” kind of guy.

7. Go Einstein!!

8. This happens to me in the classroom all the time! I’ll be sitting there, and across the room see a child carrying something, and I’ll think, “He’s going to drop that,” and within seconds, down it goes!

I agree completely that as a society we are conditioned to suppress our intuition, and women are expected to do this even more so. I think women have an incredible sense of intuition, which probably scares men, historically leading them to label us as witches/hormonal/overthinking things.
    Twitter: TheBareMidriff

9. A- I love this comment on intuition. I once heard a women’s studies lecture by Bettina Apteker- google her, buy her lectures at ucsc- she argued that it is not really women’s intuition but instead women’s ability to pay ACUTE ATTENTION. one of her examples was some amazing genetic scientist who observed her corn, sat in the fields with it and got to really know it and made all sorts of breakthroughs that her male colleagues had been working on for years. (I forget her name- mcSomthing?) Bettina’s other example was mothers who just know its a fever, what will work or will not for their child. its because they are paying acute attention. You clearly pay attention to your daughters. C

10. I have always adored Einstein (and not just because that was my nickname in grade school). I feel just the way you do, Ado. Every time I have ignored my intuition – generally to keep the peace, as you did – I have regretted it. The more I listen to it, the better I am able to hear it.
    Twitter: SJM_CookiesMom

11. I love Einstein- such a wise man! Go with the intuition.
    Twitter: IzaTrapani

12. This is so reminiscent of conversations I have had with my husband… There is something to be said for a mother’s intuition. I really think it should be considered a “sixth sense”… It has been validated personally and similarly to the way you and your other commenters spoke about.

13. Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

14. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

15. you just perfectly summed up why my husband’s blog call-sign (sounds more macho than avatar or nickname, or so I am told) is: Left Brain.
    Twitter: rorybore

16. hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this web site, since I experienced to reload the web site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon..

17. [...] Einstein On Mother’s Intuition (themomalog.com) Sharing Is Cool!SharePrintTwitterStumbleUponEmailFacebookRedditLinkedInDiggTumblrPinterestLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

18. [...] Einstein On Mother’s Intuition (themomalog.com) [...]

19. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

20. [...] Einstein On Mother’s Intuition (themomalog.com) [...]