This week’s Monday Listicles topic was chosen by Rachel at Totally Ovar It - Top 10 Pros/Cons of Attending Your Class Reunion, so of course I’m going to do a list of Top 10 Reminders of Why We Want Our TV To Stay Killed and Other “Hodge Podge” Because I Can’t Think of 10 TV Things. (-:
Last week the kids were off school for their mid-Winter break and we spent the week skiing (okay, I spent the last day sitting at the lodge watching, but still – I had to get into ski pants didn’t I so it counts…). Our hotel room had a TV set, obviously, and not only that it had two TV sets – one in each room.
Can you say Nirvana? I was in heaven. I had full control of the remote and at night I could binge-watch all the low-bottom reality TV I wanted, uncensored. I mean – I know we killed our TV, and I want to be the type of person who hates TV but honestly, I’m not sure how much longer I can stand not having cable (I mean – it was the Oscars. Who won what? And my poor orphaned husband on Superbowl Sunday…)
Even though we don’t have cable in our house I let them go whole-hog when we’re at a hotel. That means they can watch whatever kid shows they want – even Sponge Bob, which to me is the lowest of the low. I hate Sponge Bob and his creepy starfish friend. If Sponge Bob was a food it would have the nutritional equivalent of Zots. It’s Zots for your brain.
Top 10 What?
1. The ads on TV shocked me, especially the ones for drugs and their side effects. When you don’t watch TV you don’t see any ads so you are shocked when you see them again.
2. You’d think that after all this time without cable that I might be more civilized in my TV viewing choices and choose something on NatGeo, or a PBS period drama at least – but I went straight for the decomposing bodies on back-to-back, late-night episodes of 48 Hours. I was glued to it.
3. There was a commercial for Lunesta, a sleep aid, that listed minor side effects SUCH AS DEATH. Jeez, man – that’s some side effect.
4. I’ve become a total drag to watch TV with because when I watch with my kids I’m constantly pointing out “how they’re trying to hoodwink you” during the commercials: “What are they trying to sell you now?” or, “Do you think they’re trying to sell you a Barbie, or something more sinister, like self worth?” God, I wish I could put a sock in it!
5. Ella just said, “I get sticky just thinking about pancake syrup,” which has nothing to do with killing our TV but I can’t think of anymore things for my list! Sorry, Stasha!
6. The other day Ella asked me why gumball machines don’t take ATM cards. It was a really good question.
7. I’m running out of things for my list of 10, Stasha!
8. I have jury duty on Tuesday. I asked D. how I could get out of it and he said, “Try to make them believe you’re a Republican.” I said, “Do you think I can do it?” And he said, “No.”
9. I can’t think of a listicle for number 9, either, Stasha!
10. Here is a photo of Ella with her ski instructor, which I think is cute. (-:
You might also like...
10 Things I Learned From Screen-Free Week
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
Dankeschön, Dad! 10 for My Alcoholic Dad
10 Things That Make Me Go WTF?