March

10 Things I’m Rubbish At

Filed under: Bad Mommy, Monday Listicles

This week’s Monday listicles topic comes from Jessica at My Time As Mom, who suggested we make a list of things we’re rubbish at. First of all – love that Brit-word, rubbish, don’t you? There are so many good words the British have that we Americans don’t and rubbish is one of them. How about loo, bloody, kip, wanker, sod it, manky, dodgy, arse, git, and shag?

You could even use them all in one sentence:

“Sod the bloody kip you manky wanker I’m off to sit my arse on the loo and then I’m off to shag a dodgy git.”

Obviously, I haven’t quite fully recovered from the flu…

It’s scary how easy it was for me to write a list of things I’m not very good at. All moms keep a mental list of the things they are terrible at. They can review their flaws daily and sometimes hourly, or even by-the-minute. I wish we weren’t like this – but most of us are. We are all pretty starkly aware of our maternal shortcomings.

Sigh.

So here’s my list of things I’m rubbish at – things I had no idea I was terrible at until after I had kids:

1. Playing. Pardon the pun here but I’m – serious. I find spontaneous play challenging. I do it – but often I have to fake it. A lot of ACOA’s are like this.
  2. Making beds.
  3. Moving on to the next phase of development (which includes letting go of the last one that I had only just gotten used to).
  4. Keeping track of Tupperware lids/reusable lunch box containers. For Godsake, they breed. I’m drowning in lids, and none of them match.
  5. Following through on a parental threat, i.e. “If you do x, I’m going to do y!” I never do y. And thank you – I do know it’s bad parenting.
  6. Allowing my children to experience uncomfortable emotions. My tendency is to want to make it better for them/fix it.
  7. Ice skating. I am a totally embarrassing wall-hugger.
  8. Following instructions to put a kid-thing together, such as a Playskool stove. Just – well, you can forget about it.
  9. Charades. I always get the hand signals for ‘number of syllables’ and ‘number of words’ mixed up.
  10. Letting go.

• true love, me and dermot in ireland, the momalog

True Love

10 Things That Make My Life Easier

• default

11 Questions

• paul revere

A Quick Tour of World History for Mom

• capp heart

Last Week’s To Do List: A Postmortem

Comments

1. Letting go and moving on are a little tough for me too. I hope you are feeling 100% soon!!!
    Twitter: SJM_CookiesMom

2. I hate Charades because I’m REALLY crap at it.

Also, those words you listed above? I still use them all. Hee.

• I’m sure they sound way better when you say them Alison b/c you have the cool accent!

3. Me too! Terrible at playing! I’m no fun at all. I do have other attributes though, like being hilarious, though not as many people appreciate that as they should. Also, I’m awful at following through. DAILY I resolve to be better about it and hourly I fail. I also know it’s bad parenting. Sigh.

4. Don’t forget snogging before shagging :)
    I suck at imaginative play and following thru and don’t even get me started on letting go. Tupperware and socks are there to drive mothers insane. Fact!

5. 10 Things I’m Rubbish At http://t.co/1xcs7qiz by @adothemomalog #MondayListicles

6. Oh lord, the tupperware situation can get crazy! I never seem to have the lids I need either, they are like all the single socks you can never find the matches to – haha! Great list, hope you got some quiet time and are feeling much better.
    Twitter: mommy_padawan

• Maybe we should invent something where we can chuck all the socks and Tupperware lids into the same place and they all magically find their matches…

7. Snap! And sing number 10. My big challenge in life is letting go.
    Twitter: katekerrigan

8. I’m not good at the whole letting children experience uncomfortable emotions thing either. I’m not sure that’s ever gonna change. :)
    Twitter: chicktuition

• Pretty sure it’s not going to change much on my end either.

9. Okay…translation on that sentence? Letting go and moving on are so hard, and it takes me longer than everyone else too!
    Twitter: theaumsmama

10. ohhh Letting go is a totally good one. I’m SLOWLY learning how to do it but man it takes PRACTICE.Luckily I have enough baggage to fill a full sized van.

11. Bloody brilliant! (I’m Canadian…we actually use some of them too, they just tend to have either an “eh”, or a “non?” tacked onto the end.)

and between the Tupperware nightmare situation and kid toy assembling: I could go seriously barking mad. complete duffer!
    Twitter: rorybore

• Huh! Why do the Canadians get free license to use all the best Brit slang words and swear words and get away with it? It’s bloody not fair!

12. I Hate Charades! And as for tupperware lids…I’m convinced they are like socks…there must be some magical place they all run off too ;p …Oh and making beds is completely overrated, you’re just going to mess them up again in a few hours :)
    Twitter: _simplysara_

• Yeah, maybe they go off to wherever it is the matching socks go. (-:

13. Yeah. I’m with you on everything that you said on this list. I am horrible at moving on, especially. Well, I’m horrible at moving on with things pertaining to motherhood. Oh, and bad food. Yeah, I have a hard time moving on from bad food.
    Twitter: mommyhoodnxtrt

• It’s hard to move on! Especially through the different phases of motherhood. As soon as you adjust to “this new phase,” it changes.

14. The tupperwear lid/container situation is brilliant! We have so many mis-matched it drives me batty but I have no idea where the stuff goes, I am kind of convinced we have an elf who steals them. it would seem that Letting Go is my greatest challenge on this list too, but I goes if we keep trying at some point perhaps it will kick in. Hope you feel 100% better soon.
    Twitter: newfavoriteday

15. heh, i don’t follow instructions well either- if there are too many, off they go to the husband to figure out. :D
    Twitter: finallymom

16. I am bad at following through on threats because I can’t remember what threat I made…and ye I too know it is bad parenting. Also I don’t like to play games so I am pretty sure I suck at Charades since I don’t want to play to begin with.
    Twitter: momma23monkeys

17. I get bored playing with the kids too. My brain is usually somewhere else. I assume the kids don’t notice!
    Twitter: Twinisms

• That’s a good assumption – they probably don’t!

18. Oh no, I love charades, Now that I think of it I never win but…
    Why bother making the bed, ever? How do those Tupperware lids breed. Like rabbits they are. Have fun snogging and shagging that dodgy git. LOL

• A great thought – why bother to ever make the bed, ever? I would agree with you but once I heard a father say to his child, “Because it shows that you care.” And I could never get that response out of my head and to this day, I don’t make my bed every day and it bugs me.

19. Oh, how I LOVE YOUR LIST! Not only do they fit me to a T, but you are wicked funny, lady!

So glad you found me. Don’t mind me, I’ll just be hanging out here a little longer. You know, hovering, reading, and getting to know you.
    Twitter: SharonPfeiffer

20. Yes and Yes to all those things! Me too! We could be twins!
    Twitter: marriagedriving

21. Letting go is incredibly hard. I would say I’m rubbish at playing too. I never know exactly how much to follow their lead and how much of my own imagination to add in. I end up sitting on the floor rolling a car around in circles, but they love it, so I keep at it. :-)
    Twitter: S_Supermommy

22. Great list but the best part? Your British sentence. And don’t worry; I think tupperware lids DO breed and they kill off their matching containers.
    Twitter: lifeastophsmama

23. I think wanker is my favourite British word. We use lots of British words in Canada actually – and I work with a British guy, he’s a real wanker, though.
    I can 100% relate to the “playing” fail – I consider it a karmic punishment when I have to get “playful” with the kids…
    Twitter: kerstinauer

• I love how Canadians get away with using British words and use them frequently, eh?
      Yes I struggle with play. I find it easier if I “schedule” it in – so the serious part of me knows there’s an end in sight.

24. If it makes you feel better, I’ve ever even been ON ice skates, so you’ve GOT to be better than me. lol
    Twitter: noner

25. I hate having to move onto the next phase after just getting used to the other one. sigh…. and following thru with threats…. the worst!

26. I’m really bad at charades and acting too. WE don’t really use tupperware here but disposable bags.. easier to keep track.
    Twitter: dominiquegoh

27. So true! Sometimes, even if how prepared we are of having family but when were actually there it’s not the way we picture things out. That’s also the time that we actually know more about ourselves. Thank you for sharing this.. Good job!

28. It’s such a relief to hear that I am not the only mom in the world who sucks at playing. It never occurred to me that it could be an ACOA thing, but it really should come as no surprise that a person who has been 35 her entire life MIGHT not naturally take to little kid games! So I had a bunch of kids who play with one another.
    Twitter: Toddlerismblog

• Yes – I was surprised to learn it’s an ACOA characteristic – being overly serious, reluctant to play. I remember at 6 getting in big trouble w. a teacher for refusing to play Ring around the Rosey. (-:

29. I’m glad I’m not alone on the bed thing. I think my mother thinks she made a tragic mistake with me somehow because I became an adult who refuses to make her bed.
    Twitter: staceysmoments

• Well on the flip-side of that one, at least your mom doesn’t have to make it anymore – or nag you to make it. (-:

30. On a serious note, letting go is such a hard one. There should be a positively spun listicle after this one where we have to list 10 ways we can exercise letting go.
    On a trivial note, one of the side benefist of being in the blogosphere is learning the truth about the amount of people who do not make their beds, LIKE ME! Justification, (or is it solidarity?)is a soul enriching thing. Ellen
    Twitter: sensiblemoms

31. Spontaneous playing I can relate. Girls do play rough too. I gladly delegate this part of parenting to dear husband.
    Twitter: ava812

32. Gah! I don’t know how much of my life I’ve wasted trying to match lids with its tupperware counterpart… Seriously. When I’ve had enough, I grab a bunch of them and take it to my mom’s – then I take her tupperware with the lids already attached. Simple, right? ;)
    Twitter: mommyslounge

33. I’m late to the party, here, but can I just agree with you on the Tupperware lids? Why do I have either more lids than containers, or containers than lids?? I don’t understand. I never throw away one without the other, so where do they go? I’m so confused. I keep thinking someone (think husband or son, ahem) is messing with me just to drive me crazy!

34. Love the list!
    Twitter: christineorgan

35. this will not only help you to…

write good content, but will help to improve the knowledge of the readers.3) focus on the topicnext step is to focus on the concerned topic. you should avoid using complicated sentences that will confuse the reader. simple and sensible sentences that…