This week’s Monday listicles topic comes from Jessica at My Time As Mom, who suggested we make a list of things we’re rubbish at. First of all – love that Brit-word, rubbish, don’t you? There are so many good words the British have that we Americans don’t and rubbish is one of them. How about loo, bloody, kip, wanker, sod it, manky, dodgy, arse, git, and shag?
You could even use them all in one sentence:
“Sod the bloody kip you manky wanker I’m off to sit my arse on the loo and then I’m off to shag a dodgy git.”
Obviously, I haven’t quite fully recovered from the flu…
It’s scary how easy it was for me to write a list of things I’m not very good at. All moms keep a mental list of the things they are terrible at. They can review their flaws daily and sometimes hourly, or even by-the-minute. I wish we weren’t like this – but most of us are. We are all pretty starkly aware of our maternal shortcomings.
So here’s my list of things I’m rubbish at – things I had no idea I was terrible at until after I had kids:
- Playing. Pardon the pun here but I’m – serious. I find spontaneous play challenging. I do it – but often I have to fake it. A lot of ACOA’s are like this.
- Making beds.
- Moving on to the next phase of development (which includes letting go of the last one that I had only just gotten used to).
- Keeping track of Tupperware lids/reusable lunch box containers. For Godsake, they breed. I’m drowning in lids, and none of them match.
- Following through on a parental threat, i.e. “If you do x, I’m going to do y!” I never do y. And thank you – I do know it’s bad parenting.
- Allowing my children to experience uncomfortable emotions. My tendency is to want to make it better for them/fix it.
- Ice skating. I am a totally embarrassing wall-hugger.
- Following instructions to put a kid-thing together, such as a Playskool stove. Just – well, you can forget about it.
- Charades. I always get the hand signals for ‘number of syllables’ and ‘number of words’ mixed up.
- Letting go.
You might also like...
What I Would Miss
10 Reasons I’m Scared to Death of Screen-Free Week
Stuff I’ve Heard
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
10 Things That Make Me Go WTF?