By Fiona, age 10
I like to make cupcakes from scratch (without a mix) because once you know how to make them, you can make cupcakes anytime using ingredients that you can usually find in your mother’s pantry. Homemade cupcakes taste way better than cupcakes from a mix! That’s why I call these yummycakes, because they are Y-U-M-M-Y!
What You Need
- 2 1/4 cups flour (you can substitute with gluten-free flour if you’re gluten-free like me!)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Beat for about 2 or 3 minutes until mixed really well.
- Spoon cupcake batter into paper liners so they are about 1/2 to 1/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they look good enough to eat. You know what I mean! PS: Don’t let your mom convince you that they need 2 more minutes or she might burn them, like mine did!
- Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, frost with your favorite frosting recipe and decorate ‘em!
You might also like...
Idiot’s Guide to Homemade Meringue Parfaits Recipe
Valentine’s Day Pancakes