December

GUNS ARE EVIL AND STUPID

Filed under: Rants

Apologies in advance for this rant, but here it is. I wrote it in response to the tragedy of 20 K through 4th grade children being shot and six adults killed by a lone gunman today at their school in Connecticut.

I’m really ashamed to be an American today. I’m fed up with the NRA and all the ignorant people who support them. I’m fed up with it being politically incorrect in the U.S. to say that you hate guns and you hate the NRA because you might offend some asshole who likes to hunt, and because he or she likes to hunt and is stuck in the year 1791 he/she thinks all Americans should have access to guns “because it’s their right.”

Well, screw that.
Those days are over.
It’s not 1791 any longer.
Did you know that in the U.S., even if you have a documented history of mental illness you can get a gun? Its easier to get a gun in this country than it is to get help for mental illness.
Screw the NRA, the politicians who pander to gun-rights lobbyists, and all the people who DARE blather on about how the right to bear arms is in the flipping constitution. Children have a right to live. Parents have a right to see their children grow up. Teachers have a right to go to work and expect that they will come home again, alive.
It’s ENOUGH.
Or is it?
Columbine was enough and that was 13 years ago.
We did nothing. Laws have not changed. Americans still love their guns.
GUNS are STUPID and EVIL. All guns. You want to hunt? Go bow-hunting, for fuck’s sake.BAN ALL GUNS. And shut up about the 2nd amendment, which needs to be amended.
Am I not being realistic? Then at the VERY LEAST: reinstate the assault weapons ban, ban high-capacity ammunition magazines, institute criminal background checks on gun buyers, and run efficient instant background checks that flag people with histories of mental illness.
Children have the right to live.

Breastfeeding on the East Coast Sucks (Pardon the Pun…)

A Bad Reaction, Dr. Dung

This Carnivore’s Dilemma

• "Dottie Sandusky smiled as she took the witness stand to defend her husband defend him against charges he sexually abused boys in their home." - Fox News

What Did Dottie Sandusky Know?

Comments

1. GUNS ARE EVIL AND STUPID http://t.co/2Tsv0Nkl via @sharethis

• People are the issue, not guns. You don’t seem to quite grasp the dangerousness of your mentality. Just speaking my mind. Have a nice day.

2. Yes, children have the right to live, and I have the right to own guns. ’nuff said.

• Fine, you have the right to own guns if you’ve gone through a background check, but soon – we will have stronger gun legislation in place to prevent more senseless deaths in America. We all have the right to live and I am so pissed off right now at all the gun enthusiasts in the wake of this awful, awful tragedy.
      You can’t possibly agree that you – or anyone, for that matter – has the right to OWN AN ASSAULT RIFLE. The mother of the Connecticut shooter owned an assault rifle which was brought to the scene. If she didn’t have that gun collection – he would not have killed those innocent people and children.

• Well put Caleb! Couldn’t have said it better myself!

3. Word. Ditto. What you said.

4. Amen, Ado. If we don’t change some things now, we never will. It is time to start treating the gun lobby as the sick social pariahs that they are. Every gun that was used to kill those babies, and their teachers, was legally registered. There is no earthly reason to need an assault rifle. Or a semiautomatic, or automatic, weapon of any kind. A “well regulated militia” has nothing to do with the so-called right to own as much killing power as possible, and to carry it around in public spaces, or to use it when you don’t like the look of the kid in the hoodie on your street. I’m done pussyfooting around the sensitivities of the gun nuts, trying not to offend some sacred right to be able to kill people. I will no longer back down from those conversations.

• Well said, Maria. I’m done pussyfooting around, too.
      Millions and millions of moms are done. It’s time for CHANGE.

5. I vehemently agree with every word Ado and thank God I live in Canada. I’m also trying very hard to refrain from scream-typing at that person who made that incredibly insensitive and ignorant comment about his right to own guns.

• January,
      I’m sorry you found my comment insensitive. When in fact I feel a great deal of grief whenever I hear of events like what happened yesterday in Connecticut. However, I try not to let such events shape my opinion of the Bill of Rights. Which the founders of my country set up in order to allow me to retain the freedom that they fought and died for. By the way I love your country Canada is such a beautiful place.
      Cheers,
      Caleb.

• Caleb I do appreciate your chiming in here and you have stated in a civil way what your rights are, and I appreciate that. But can you answer me the question – what on EARTH would possess you, or anyone, to want to own a high-powered assault weapon? I can “get” the need to own a hunting rifle, or a hand gun for protection (although as I’ve mentioned, I’m totally against all guns) – but…come on, ASSAULT WEAPONS? You are behind that, too? Why?
        Also: after a similar massacre of school children in Dunblane, Scotland, they passed a FULL GUN BAN Hundreds of thousands of guns were handed in. Since that massacre, there has not been a single shooting death there.
        It made a difference.
        And also – the founders of our country lived in a DIFFERENT TIME, they did not witness the random massacre of entire school rooms full of children. They were fighting a civil war. Times were different. It’s been over 200 years since we have had a civil, stable government so your argument that you might need to “defend your property” or use a gun for an uprising is – out of date. Meantime a classroom full of kids in America – daily – is killed or injured by guns. 12 guns per minute every day are sold in this country 365 days a year. I am just so angry at people who are advocating for gun rights in the wake of what has happened in Connecticut and in all of 2012, that I just can’t even believe it.

• Ado,
          I understand your frustration. I don’t want to sound like a jerk but I would like to point out a few things I think are important in this discussion. An assault weapon and assault rifle are not the same thing. An assault rifle is a fully automatic military weapon which fires a round larger than a pistol round yet smaller than the average hunting rifle round, so they aren’t exactly high powered and any fully automatic weapon has been banned since 1934 anyway. The term Assault Weapon was invented by the government in 1994 when they passed the Assault Weapon ban, and this has caused much confusion among people who aren’t familiar with guns. Basically any semi-automatic weapon containing features which makes it look like an assault rifle becomes an assault weapon. Therefor an ordinary hunting rifle could become an assault weapon if I put a pistol grip on it. Which I know from experience makes a weapon easier to fire therefor safer to fire. I think we can agree the safer guns are the better for everyone. Also I would like to think the ideas of our founders are timeless. After all social networks are not mentioned by name in the 1st amendment, yet they are still covered by free speech. And while they may not have experienced as many mass killings as we do today (as a history buff I can tell you they did occur back then) they did experience mass tyranny, and for that reason the 2nd amendment was created. Like you said my ability to conduct an uprising may be out of date, and that is what scares me.
          Caleb.

• Caleb,
            First of all I do really appreciate you weighing in here and your civility. Many gun proponents, it seems, get so angry at the mention of gun control that they can’t be civil. You don’t sound like a jerk. Thanks for clarifying what assault rifles v. weapons are etc. but to me – I just don’t understand people’s attachment to powerful guns, whether they be rifles or weapons or…whatever. Guns are for one purpose: for killing. In a civilized society we must take care to protect the most vulnerable and this includes the young, the old and the mentally ill – as well as all of the citizens. If all gun owners were responsible and civil and trained like you – maybe this shit wouldn’t happen – but not all people are like you, there are a whole lot of kooks out there, and there is an entire population of untreated, sidelined mentally ill people who play killing on video games and who are seeing the glorification of mass shooters on TV and who can easily get their hands on their parent’s guns, or their neighbor’s guns, or in some cases, their own guns.
            As for the whole uprising argument -yes, the right to bear arms, okay – I get it – but it’s fear-based. We are afraid of “the government” taking over and becoming militarized and this to me with our over 200 years of stability, sounds paranoid. On top of this, frankly historically all countries who need to take up arms find them, get them, use them. It has really not been a problem to get arms when needed. I know I’m ignorant about this “uprising” part of it but I really do think that in a civilized society one moves away from fear, and from violence, to a higher state of living and being – peace and non-violence. There are just too many crack-heads, untreated mentally ill people, kooks, and angry criminals, out there for me to be at all comfortable with the idea that “more guns” and “less control” is the solution. Anyway Caleb sorry for blathering on here but I really appreciate your comments, they do offer up a lot to think about.

• The Second Amendment is antiquated. There is no other way to put it. It is antiquated and if they could amend once, they can amend it again. It’s enough. Enough is enough.

And if people can’t bear to be gunless then a revolver with a limited supply of bullets should be all that is legal. There is *no* reason for people to have multiple rifles and endless rounds of ammunition.

And before people start with the ‘banning them won’t fix it, there will be illegal weapons on the market’, I have a perfect test case. Australia. We had one, ONE, massacre of even larger magnitude and we immediately had our government implement major gun control laws. We have a significant black market for guns, yes, but we haven’t had a single reoccurrence of mass murder of any sort.

The fact is in almost every case the perpetrators have had easy access to guns. Take that easy access away and they need the funds and the contacts to get rifles and ammunition to kill people. Given that most people don’t have that the problem is largely solved.

The fact that you can bear arms as young as 11 in this country is a testament to the insanity that is leading to the president weeping over innocent people being murdered by boys with major issues multiple times in six months. Enough is enough.

If you want to bear arms, fine. Have a revolver with ten bullets. You sure as shit don’t need assault rifles and thousands of rounds of bullets. Ugh.
          Twitter: boxandbrownie

• I also want to add that in Australia we actually have more to fear from our government than anyone in the US does. I am all for big government and even I am scared of some of the anti-terrorist and anti-treason laws that we enacted in 2005. Australia could be a dictatorship with very little in the way of recourse for our citizens and you know what? Having an arsenal in my wine cellar sure as shit isn’t going to change that.

Seriously, enough is enough, America.
            Twitter: boxandbrownie

6. I don’t know what the answer is, because I fear those who use them like this will always be able to access guns, even if banned. Maybe we can make it a hell of a lot harder though? And I can’t, for anything, come up with a reason why a citizen needs to own and assault weapon or high capacity ammunition. They just DON’T. But I do know that this keeps happening. Over and over, and getting worse and worse, and more frequent and more frequent. And we’ve done nothing. No steps to stop it. It HAS TO STOP. I want to send my child to school, to college, to the movies, to the mall and know they will not become of victim of this violence.

7. My heart is broken over what happened and those in Newton are in my prayers…..but I respectfully disagree with you, my friend. Hugs to you.
    Twitter: AnnHolly

• I thank you for your respectful comments, Ann, but I am appalled that anyone would – particularly at this time in – disagree with the need to ban ownership of automatic assault weapons. I am just – so surprised.

• Stop commenting. We get it, you hate guns. I hate you, so should I try to pass legislation to revoke your citizenship and deport you? Your mentality is the reason this country is being pussified. We NEED guns for home defense and protection. Where I live, there is absolutely no crime. Why? Because everyone owns guns.

8. I live in Canada too. This made the news during the summer, when a visitor from the US was taking a stroll through a large park near my house. Someone basically said “Hi”. The US visitor wanted to pull a gun on the guy because he was intimidated by the unsolicited greeting. He wrote in to one of the newspapers here saying so. That attitude is a bit strange to Canadians, but nice to see it is also strange to many Americans. No need to solve problems with a gun. The story is linked here: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/331008/331008/
    Twitter: PerfectingParen

• Shocking! It’s like that American had PTSD, which apparently is portable. Sad. I don’t get what all the resistance is about regarding at least legislating stricter gun control. I am shocked at the number of moms I’ve heard from who are practically offended by my suggestion that we need gun control. I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed in being an American citizen as now. I am watching intently on what congress and Obama does, now, to stop this senseless carnage.

• You’re full of shit. And even if that was the case that gun owner shouldn’t carry guns.no American I’ve ever met has wanted to kill for another stating a friendly greeting.

9. To be honest I’ve never really understood all the fuss about banning guns. Maybe it’s because I am just a guest in your country and sometimes its hard to understand american mentality…But this tragedy is so dreadful I hope it will finally change the attitude to gun possession…
    Twitter: auntiejanola

10. I am not personally able to convince myself that guns are any use at all against tyranny in modern times, particularly against law enforcement entities armed now or in the future with very sophisticated tech, like acoustic weapons. From personal experience, however, I can attest that they are effective for personal defense in a crime ridden area where police can not respond fast enough. But for that…a simple revolver does suffice. If you need heavier firepower than that, you really ought to move and/or make some serious noise at your local politicians about cleaning the hood up a bit.

But guns or no guns, there is a huge problem going on.

I’m still in shock at all the knife attacks on schoolchildren in China. Previous ones ended in mass fatalities. The very same day we heard of the massacre in CT, one was reported in China with nearly as many children maimed by a knife and in critical condition in China. Clearly with or without guns, this sort of thing has become embedded in people’s minds as something to do when they “snap.” While we are focused on this tragedy here at home, it is not just an American problem to have people snap and strike out at innocents en masse.

Guns have been a fact of life in America since its inception. The question is, did people in the 1800′s bust in on schools and start shooting up innocent children back then? I did a bit of Googling and found out that… what do you know…yes they did! http://www.examiner.com/article/school-shootings-america-a-long-history. Damn! I was surprised to learn that, because frankly I’ve always thought tv and violent movies and video games played a role in all this crap. But if it’s been going on before all of the um, “amenities” of modern life, that just leaves it back to unstable, seriously disconnected people.

I’ve tried to see if other factors might play a role, but there doesn’t seem to be much to go on. Shooters have been as young as 8 and 10, and been of both genders, though most have been male. The kinds of guns used have varied. A 16 year old female armed with a rifle managed to kill as many as a male armed with what was described as a semi-automatic weapon. And as I already mentioned, in China, guns were not used at all and attackers were able to kill many children with simple knives.

Okay, so it’s not just a USA problem and it’s not just a modern problem, and while the majority of mass killers are male, it’s not just a male problem. Sick f*ckers are everywhere, “everywhen” and of any age or gender and employ not just guns to deal out their frustrations on the innocent on a large scale.

What to do, what to do? Well, seeing that most of the Chinese children in the most recent attack are still alive and that the shootings earlier in our history resulted in fewer deaths, logic tells me…side with Ado on this and get the mightier modern weapons out of the hands of ordinary people who don’t seem to have the freaking sense to get the weapons out of the fricking house when they know at least one family member is as nutty as grandma’s Christmas fruitcake.

I’d much rather take my chances against a loony armed with a knife or even a revolver or a very basic rifle than someone who can get off several shots in one go.

But really, most of all…let us finally beef up mental health care and counseling services for everyone in this country. Because what all the shooters and stabbers have in common, is a serious mental health issue where they lack empathy or lost their empathy and connection to their fellow human beings.

• ChipMom, that is a good point: “I’d rather take my chances with a kook with a knife than one who has a gun.”
      Thanks for weighing in here. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments.

11. I totally agree! It isn’t about our security and self-protection anymore. The civil society – if healthy – doesn’t need guns to feel safe.We are human, for God’s sake…

12. I havent had much down time lately but have been grabbing what free time I can to read more on this case. First off, the reporting has been horribly bad quality. So many contradictions and retractions and vague rumors, I can’t make sense of it all on the limited time I have available.

What little I read today indicates the shooter was indeed mired in violent video game play. Eh, I’ve played games like that too in my youth with no bad effect, but I’m not mentally unstable. No doubt in people who are on the fence mentally, it can be a game changer.

At any rate in the days since my last post I still can’t find or come up with any answers all of us are likely to agree on. But I did read that the Israelis, who live with guns as a fact of life, have very stringent rules to acquire guns that our country would be wise to emulate. Their common citizenry does NOT have easy access to individual gun ownership. Even those who require guns for self protection on disputed borders must demonstrate they are mentally able and well trained to own a gun.

But I can’t overlook the fact that despite our state’s very strict gun laws, I have twice lived on streets in two different suburban neighborhoods where gun owners brazenly waved their weapons around while screaming into their cell phones. When/if we ever do institute a total gun ban, it’s going to be really an all out war getting the illegal guns away from those owners. The thing is though, the dudes who do that sort of thing, from all I have ever seen, aren’t the types who do these psychotic mass shootings. They are actually kind of picky about who they shoot and it is usually business for them and usually accidental when they hit an innocent bystander. It usually seems to be the legal owners with mental issues that do what we just saw in CT.

I read what I’m posting and can’t believe it as I read my own words. Sickening. I can’t believe where I came from and what it was like there and I can’t believe there is no safe haven to move forward to, not even in a school in a beautiful small affluent town. Sick world. I look forward to a future with no guns and no violence at all but have no idea how to get us there, Ado.

13. Here here sister and rant away! I’m doing the same on my blog and so are so many others. It’s probably more cathartic than it is game changing, but at least there’s somewhere to rant. Anyway, I do think the tide is turning. The NRA is AT LONG LAST on the defensive and we might actually get some sensible legislation passed.

I would just like to add that with the number of deaths due to handguns each year it’s like a Sandy Hook massacre takes place EVERY DAY. I’m sad that we don’t have compassionate for all the innocents who have been dying until this horrible tragedy. Everyone whose life was taken by a handgun was once a smiling kindergartener and almost certainly didn’t deserve that fate.

And lord there is NO EARTHLY reason, other than compensating for a small dick (pardon me), to have an automatic weapon. This is not Somalia.

Ok. I’m done.
    Twitter: mamzungu

14. Present in America today are two separate and distinct subcultures: one that decries firearms and one that upholds them as a part of cultural identity. From what I have seen, these two groups are irreconcilable, and intent upon grinding against one another. There is so much immaturity, so much hysteria, so much prejudice and xenophobia that is, unfortunately, the majority on both sides of the debate that I fear we will never be able to meet without malice and pursue a functional solution to our culture of violence and death.

I am a gun owner. I have had a firearm registered in my name since Christmastime of my tenth year of living. I go hunting every year and relish the experience. And every single time I handle a firearm, every single time I mention one really, I am reminded by my father of the basic rules of safety in regards to these volatile tools. When not in use, our guns are in a cabinet in the attic, out of reach of my younger siblings. When in use, they are empty and pointed at the ground with the safety on when not in the act of shooting. I was taught since the moment I first picked up a gun (which was not even assembled yet at that point in time) never, ever, to point one at another human being or myself, regardless of whether or not it is loaded. When I have children, they will undergo the same experience, and it is my wholehearted belief that they will be the better for it, just as I am. I would much rather have my children be taught how to safely own and operate a firearm than have them be taught by our culture of violence today that guns are just cool things that can only hurt another person if you mean them to. I would like to have with them the same bonding experiences I shared with my own father while hunting, and I would like to have them brought up not fearing or idolizing guns, but respecting them for the powerful and admittedly dangerous objects they are.

I do not expect anyone here to agree with me, but I urge you and others like you to realize that it is simply not acceptable in a democratic society to violate the constitutionally guaranteed rights of tens of millions due to the heinous actions of a few. I am just as horrified as everyone else is at the recent events in Aurora and Newtown, towns whose names have now become synonymous with mass-murder. However, I do not think that violating one of the first ten amendments, added to the constitution for the specific purpose that it be clear that they should never be meddled with, is the best answer to this problem. I am all for strengthened background checks, stronger penalties for straw-man purchases, a better mental health system, and limitations on magazine size. I am not for arming teachers (Wayne LaPierre frankly makes the rest of us look bad), however I do not think it is a ridiculous proposition to suggest that police officers devote some of their time to providing a protective presence in all of our schools instead of hiding behind billboards all day waiting for someone to go ten miles over the speed limit.

Our society is in the throes of a violent cultural death spiral that will only end when there is nothing left of us, and until the different subcultures can realize that and come together to find mutually acceptable and enlightened solutions to our social problems, that process cannot be stopped. I would like to add that I am impressed with the level of tolerance I have seen on this page, though this type of behavior is the exception, not the majority, and I doubt that we will ever be able to get anything done.

• Connor, I really appreciate your taking the time to comment here on this page. It’s funny but just as you said – it’s rare that I encounter a gun rights advocate who sounds reasonable and doesn’t descend into the black and white of it. Thing is – for me, I agree with your points about democracy and gun ownership and our constitutional rights etc. – I just really wish that all gun owners were, like you, responsible and intelligent – reasonable people. The thing is, so many aren’t. Just yesterday one of them shot a six month old baby on the streets of Chicago (or Detroit? I forget where) – they were trying to “hit” her dad, who was probably a gang member. My problem with easy access to guns is that so many crazy people and young dumb kids like the one who shot that baby can get them – easily. My nephew is only 15 and was in a children’s psych unit for wanting to kill himself with a gun. He had a plan and everything – he was just going to get the gun from his father’s gun cabinet. Sure it’s locked but he’s a teen and he knows where the key is if he wants to get it. His dad (my sister’s ex) has tons of guns, rifles, you name it – all legal. So this kid went to rehab – he is only 15 – has all kinds of addiction issues, depression etc. – do you know what his dad did to cheer him up when he got out? Took him to the shooting range. Now – I am not against a father teaching his kid how to shoot responsibly (I wouldn’t do it, but I’m not against it) – but this kid has been sectioned and now has easy access to guns. His dad is promising him an AK47. There are so many irresponsible people out there who have access to guns – as a mother, I just want it all to stop.
      Totally understand your arguments though, really appreciate your commenting – I just think there are too many kooks and crazies and young dumb kids with hair-trigger tempers out there for us to imagine it is safe with all the guns we have in America.
      So – I’m not going to change your opinion, and vice versa – but I really appreciate your civility and your comments. Thanks for stopping by.

15. I’m so glad you for doing away with the Bill of Rights.
    Just an FYI…
    The Second was put into place to secure the First.

16. I do not question the numbers of handgun deaths in each country, but I think it is deceptive and misleading. Many countries that have banned handguns have higher rates of murder and violent crimes, but that is not included in the numbers shown. If they have more murders but fewer murders with handguns, is that really a good thing?
    Crime increase when guns are banned because criminals have less fear of retaliation, that is why all the shooting occurr in gun free zones. It was best said like this; to discourage or prohibit self defense is to encourage or promote violent crime.
    You are not alone in you hate for the NRA, criminals hate it even more than you.
    Twitter: none

17. HAHAHHAHA OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO FUCKING IGNORANT.

• Well that’s uncalled for. I don’t necessarily agree with the author either, but brutly insulting her isn’t a very good way to garner support for your argument.

18. One of the reasons gun owners get so angry is that they constantly have to endure what is usually a HUGE amount of emotionally fuled ignoragnce spewed by the anti-gun side. The statistics shown are misleading as they do not take into account overall murder rates and history (an example being that the UK has a lower murder rate per capita than the US, but this has been so for over one hundred years, even when sweeping anti-gun legislation was passed in recent times it only reduced “gun murders”, not overall murders, where the numbers have stayed relativly consistant.) Guns are not soley for killing either, most gun owners dont want to kill anyone with their guns, hobby shooting and collecting are a big reason for gun ownership, followed by hunting and self defense reasons.
    The gun used in the shooting was not an assault rifle, an assault rifle is a rifle of intermediate caliber capable of select or automatic fire, usually issued by a government to a standing army.
    By saying guns are evil and stupid you deny the millions of people who peacfully collect firearms for historical interest, and hobby shooters who enjoy the comradery of the shooting sports and learn basic mechanics and mathamatics through ballistics. Guns also provides far more equality between the sexes than other weapons. If a woman wants to bowhunt she may be restricted by her upper body strength in being able to reach a full draw on a bow. I know this because I am a woman.

Then of course there are the logistics of sweeping gun control.
    How is it going to be enforced?
    What will the tax burden be? If I dont give up my guns then what? Is the police going to kick my door in, shoot my dog and hold my kids at gunpoint to confiscate the contraban like they have been doing in that oh so sucessful war on drugs?

If you are going to debate the rational of gun control you must actually research the issue well before expecting to be heard.

19. OMG A GUY WAS KILLED IN NASCAR!!! I guess we should ban ALL cars going over 85 mph because NOONE needs to go that fast on the road. Would that not be safer? On a more serious note, do you think banning guns would keep criminals/maniacs from killing children with a ninja sword? Jee, a lot of kids play very violent games which invole stabbing people with ninja swords… I am a very responisble gun owner but I find it silly that peopple act like this. I find the shooting horific too but if there have been several cases where a intelligent gun owner was present and stopped the shooter before he/she could kill any more people. The logic you are using would justify the car ban above! I like my SAW and use it well. That is all.

20. You are a serious moron if you think they don’t do background checks for mental illness and criminal records. Even JUVENILE criminal records can stop you from getting a gun. You need a GUN LICENSE to get a gun, and you must present that license to get the gun. they do background checks when you attempt to get a gun license. Oh, and another thing: you must seriously think that bows or knives can’t kill people too. Look at most serial killers, they MUTILATE their victims with weapons other than guns. but I’m sure you’re just another brain-dead mother who thinks only guns kill people. People kill people. mentally unstable people who do not acquire guns themselves or use improvised weapons even. People collect guns, and use them for SELF DEFENSE. Crazy right? Oh but your defense is probably “Let the police protect you.” As if the police could hold your hand 24/7. You think guns are evil and stupid? Okay, so you’re saying the entire ARMED FORCES and all other forms of MILITARY and POLICE are stupid? I have an open carry license myself, I and no criminal record AT ALL, and the only “mental issue” I have is ADD. Needless to say, i haven’t killed anyone, and will never need to because the gun in my holster is a ‘steer-clear’ sign for people who would try to harm me. And do you really think banning guns would stop people from getting a hold of and possibly even using them for the same act? You and all your butt-buddy anti-gun, NRA bashing, second amendment trashing, stuck up, worst case scenario people need to grow a pair and stop being so short-sighted.

• Where do you live? Just curious. Here in America, we don’t need a gun license.

21. I’m thankful we have a 2nd amendment to protect your first amendment righ to say stupid shit like that :)

22. You’re all ridiculous and so out of touch with what happens in the real world. You call yourselves Americans but have no true knowledge of what our Founders went through and the knowledge they had. I mean, how many of you have invented electricity or anything useful ? Yet, they don’t know what they’re talking about. We’ve already been brainwashed to depend upon and fear our government. You’re turning us into another Great Britain. Thanks for that.

23. Would you blame a car for drunk driving accidents? This argument can be applied to guns as well. Guns, when in the wrong hands can make the PERSON dangerous. The gun is not to blame for the school shooters motivated by naive and over-protective parents like you. Most of you are housewives and “self employed” (jobless) people who have no experience in the real world. You have no right to restrict and/or take away guns from responsible owners like myself. I think you are to blame. When I was growing up, I would keep my guns in my Ford Ranger and take them to the school shooting range, and nobody cared or abused this power. You protective “responsible” (not) mothers are to blame for raising your children with a leash. When they move out, they will have no self-reliance and will have not enough experience to live on their own. Banning guns is not going to do anything. Think about it. Groups of angry moms coming to take away guns vs angry redneck gun owners willing to do anything to keep their homes, families and guns secure. HAHAHAHAHA! Lawful gun owners don’t commit gun crimes, by the way. Marijuana is illegal, but do people use it? Gangs have wars over it. Think about that.

24. BAN ASSUALT BLOGS!

25. Ma’am I understand being devastated by school shootings, but you’re mentality, logic and “facts” are wrong, the so called “assault rifles” you are so terrified of, they don’t exist in the hands of the american public. “Assault rifles” are military grade fully automatic firearms of rifle length. Americans who want automatic rifles must go through extensive vetting by the government.
    Between columbine and today gun legislation has been passed. You want me go bow hunting? Well fortunately that’s not up to, because many bow hunters are injured in attacks by animals.
    Guns are evil? Why? “Because they are the only consumer product that when used correctly kills someone” Not true. When used correctly the fire a bullet. What the bullet hits is up to the person holding it. “Banning guns would save lives” No it wouldn’t. If you were to ban guns you’d need extensive military involvement and would end up killing thousands of innocent people. You want to live in a place where all guns are banned. Go to Brazil. Say hello to the police brutality and government corruption. Say hello to the paramilitary groups working for drug lords and terrorizing the populous while the government does nothing, Or maybe drive to our southern border of mexico where guns are incredibly hard to get. Give a shout to those law abiding citizens “the knights templar” drug cartel. Tell me how that works

26. You liberals are dumbasses, a guy in China has killed the same amount of children with a knife and the reason we own guns is because the british tried to take guns from people in the American revolution but like the forefathers said othe only way America can be destroyed is not from the outside but from the inside because we destroyed our self’s and also its land of the free not land of the controlled. It is my right to own a gun and you idiots wont take it from me!

• Our forefathers actually established the 2nd amendment to protect us if ever our government became tyrannical. A quote from Thomas Jefferson says the time when you need the 2nd amendment the most is when they are trying to take it away

27. Guns aren’t evil you stupid bitch. They’re inanimate objects.

28. Guns are not as east to get a a hold of as the media makes it out to be. In fact the shooter tried to purchase a gun legally but was denied because he failed his background check. The man stole the gun from his mother, illegally. Gun control laws would not work because there are always those who do not obey the law. Thats why we call them”criminals”. Now, that being said the only thing that can stop a criminal with a gun, would be a good guy with a gun. (thats why we arm cops) So instead of making places gun free zones we need to have guards. Thats why we dont see shootings at courthouses, military bases, prisons, and police stations. Guns are not evil or stupid. The are inanimate objects and blaming them is childish.